Prevention is the key to a healthy plumbing system. Following our simple maintenance tips will help keep your pipes flowing smoothly all year.
- Invest in quality parts to save money in the long run by minimizing maintenance and repairs you would spend on less expensive products.
- Watching for leaks and hunting down foul odors or peculiar noises is the best way to ensure optimal performance from your plumbing.
- Hire licensed, expert plumbers to provide safe, professional maintenance should you discover a problem and/or to perform annual inspections for exceptional plumbing preservation.
- Regularly check your meter while no water is running. All dials should be stationary. A moving dial is an indication of a leak in your house.
- Ensure that all water valves in the house remain in good working order by opening and closing them at least one time a year.
- Drain a few gallons of water from the water heater from time-to-time to remove harmful sediment.
- Pour boiling water down drains to remove greasy buildup.
- Let water run for a few minutes after using a sink or tub.
- Prevent hair and soap scum buildup by using drain screens or filters to catch these culprits before they can even enter the pipes.
- Avoid pouring grease or coffee grounds down the kitchen drain and wipe away any remaining grease with a paper towel before washing pots and pans.
Plumbing problems are not unavoidable altogether. However, our simple maintenance advice should help reduce the number of plumbing complications you would otherwise encounter.